1. We would love to know a little bit about you.
Hi, I’m Megan Morton. I am a stylist who serves to make the best of everything, in every situation, in all the ways.
2. Tell us about your big break – that holy shit moment in your career.
I never expected it wouldn't be how it is. I am from a family of head down women who make their way, quietly but with stealth.
3. Where do you get most inspired?
Old books. The books that really shaped me in my formative years are still my go to’s.
4. What is your favourite piece from Atley.co?
I love and appreciate anything that enhances a simple gesture. So, while I love the handcrafted handsome leather stockings and elegant incense holder… my absolute top picks would be the hot sculpted Glass swizzle sticks, because it’s in small gestures that people can feel your effort and love for them and of course the ceramic Connection Rings.
5. One thing that makes you truly happy?
Seeing good work. Good work has cut through no matter how it was done or what medium its served on. Stove top coffee. My children- cliché ahead - really are my favourite waste of time.
6. How do you deal with work stress?
I have never been able to do anything but all or nothing, so not to well to be honest. I look to meditate about 12 years ago which has been a lifesaver. I have also suffered a broken back, which is really such an unspoken thing in my industry as it happens all the time, so I’m really into Alexander technique for back prevention, life and breath maintenance. I really enjoy it as it’s such an analog adjustment that you really can’t learn or do on zoom.
7. Name a book or movie everyone should read or watch? And why?
There are so many that I would love everybody to watch and read, and every book I’ve written I’ve also included movie tips, but I have to share with you Florian Habitch’s amazing documentary called Isey and James, which I just enjoyed so very much I hope everyone gets to see it.
8. What annoys you most? And why?
I practice (try) ‘radical acceptance’, something my father instilled in us, so nothing much.
9. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
Simple and shortcutter, MM
10. Do you live by any piece of advice or motto?
Never hide your enthusiasm!
11. How should we handle someone copying our style?
Firstly, accept no-one owns a style, personal style can be mimicked, but not ever copied. And true talents should never worry, as their talent pools are bottomless. Sometimes exhausted, but there is always more.
13. What’s your favourite Friday night tipple?
I don't drink, so a Berocca with soda water and a bush lemon from my tree (i am trying to grow an Orangery at my new project ’Mimosa Moon’ so more drinks with shrubs and bush citrus is hopefully in my future!
14. Name somewhere you would love to live.
South of France and Jaipur and Northern Rivers and Bondi.
15. Finish this sentence – homes have the power to:
Transform. I believe this so deeply. In every category. No exception.
16. What’s your advice for aspiring designers and stylists that you inspire?
Do the work. Not just the bts work and work that is optical, but the real work. The learning, the invisible, the non Instagramable stuff.
17. Why do you feel now (as a community), it is really important to get behind and support locally made?
We are all so inexplicably interconnected. Show that with the only way you can, through your kindness and if you can, your wallet.