Interior stylist, designer and author: Jason Grant
1. We would love to know a little bit about you.
Hi, I’m Mr Jason Grant - interior stylist, designer and author - a multifaceted creative that wears many hats
2. Tell us about your big break – that holy shit moment in your career.
When I started out working at Inside out Magazine back in Melbourne, following on from that when I released my first book and started my first collaboration which included my signature paint collection with Murobond (this year it's been10 years in partnership).
3. Where do you get most inspired?
Nature always! When I escape to nature is when the creativity flows.
4. What is your favourite piece from Atley.co?
I love the ceramic mug with the square handle and the rustic hand forged bottle opener.
Image Credit The Palm Co
5. One thing that makes you truly happy?
I’m a simple man so friends, food, good times and nature are high on the list too.
6. How do you deal with work stress?
Creating my own reality, being in control of how I work and loving my job every day, being selective about only working on projects that excite me, being selective about who I spend my time with and what I commune in all mediums always aware of the energy around me and keeping it high vibes, Meditation, Nature, time offline and I actually love a good laugh ( usually with good friends and to vague out)
7. Name a book or movie everyone should read or watch? And why?
- Read - Storm boy and Big Magic
- Watch the original star wars Trilogy
8. What annoys you most? And why?
It takes a lot to annoy me TBH as I focus on the positive and give little time to bad energy, it’s not about what happens to you but how you react.
9. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
Just JG mostly but there was a time a very long time ago that a certain group of people once called me “Strawberry" IYKYK
10. If you could only play one music album for the rest of your life what would it be?
Hmmm perhaps a compilation play list ( a favourite pastime is making them) think Olivia newton John, The Beetles, Plantasia, Luis Miguel, 80s anthems, classic 70s disco hits, Indian or Italian disco (think Rupa or Napoli Segreta) anything that is low key high vibes poolside vibes, 90s and early 2000s pop and anything slightly nostalgic and of course a Kylie Classic
11. Do you live by any piece of advice or motto?
What you want exists don't settle until you get it.
12. How should we handle someone copying our style?
Own it, a copy is a lesser version or the original - I loathe replica furniture and lazy reproductions but love authenticity and being your best creative self, there’s no creativity in copying, it’s not a compliment to cut and paste what someone else does its just lazy, I’m happy that no one else can really be me.
13. What’s your favourite Friday night tipple?
A Margarita, a Negroni, a French martini or a classic G and T.
14. Name somewhere you would love to live.
Mexico, LA , Italy or Tatooine.
15. Finish this sentence – homes have the power to:
Make you feel good.............
16. What’s your advice for aspiring designers and stylists that you inspire?
17. Why do you feel now (as a community), it is really important to get behind and support locally made?
I’ve always loved supporting other creatives, the small and independent makers and brands that make magic and I love the thrill of discovering new ones too.