1. We would love to know a little bit about you.
Hi, I’m Alexandra Kidd, Director & Design Principal of Alexandra Kidd Design. We are an interior design studio in Sydney, Australia.
2. Tell us about your big break – that holy shit moment in your career.
I still have many of those holy shit moments, but it wasn’t one of those that got me into design. I always knew I wanted to be an interior designer … long before I even knew what it was.
3. Where do you get most inspired?
It is an old cliché ... but I find inspiration from so many sources, nature, travel, fashion, people. I am truly fortunate to see beauty in everything.
4. What is your favourite piece from Atley.co?
I love all the Atley.co ceramics. They are simple and pure. The connection rings are a particular favourite and the egg cups. Our favourite Sunday morning family breakfast is dippy eggs with buttered toast … mmmm
5. One thing that makes you truly happy?
My darling husband and divine daughters, sunshine, and fresh flowers.
6. How do you deal with work stress?
To deal with the stress and anxiety of work [and now family] I took myself off to a meditation retreat and try to meditate daily. The days that I don’t find that time to meditate everything feels like it’s fragile and too much and the days I do I have a clarity and perspective that allows creativity and balance.
7. Name a book or movie everyone should read or watch? And why?
I Am Love … an Italian romance directed by Luca Guadagnino set in Villa Necchi in Milan that captures the most beautiful Italian villa and gardens. The film is spellbinding with beautiful sets, cinematography, and imagery.
8. What annoys you most? And why?
Laziness. Because there is so much to see, do, embrace, experience, and love.
9. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
Alexandra gets shortened a lot! Alex, Al, Aly, Lexi … but no childhood nicknames.
10. If you could only play one music album for the rest of your life what would it be?
This is too hard ... can I have an iPod?
11. Do you live by any piece of advice or motto?
“One day you will look back and see that all along you were blooming”
Morgan Harper Nichols
12. How should we handle someone copying our style?
I think style is so open, that copying it all would be impossible. I believe taking influence from is a great compliment. I recently watched the story of the JW Anderson cardigan, famously worn by Harry Styles and now showcased in the V+A museum. A tiktok follower copied it and started a worldwide craze of copying or interpreting the cardigan. The original designer Jonathon Anderson embraced this Lockdown craft obsession and uploaded the pattern … it has been so popular that it crashed the designer’s website and connected billions of people around the world. Design at it’s very best.
13. What’s your favourite Friday night tipple?
I love a spritz or delicious champagne.
14. Name somewhere you would love to live.
Italy… for all the feels, the style, attitude, food, history, design, passion, and fashion.
15. Finish this sentence – homes have the power to:
16. Why do you feel now (as a community), it is really important to get behind and support locally made?
I feel it’s important to support everyone with an idea! small local artisans and artists are crucial to the design world … anyone who has a talent or an idea and has invested in that to create something to share should be celebrated and encouraged.