1. We would love to know a little bit about you.
Hi, I’m Cassie James-Herrick – Founder/Director - CJH Studio and Linear Standard
2. Tell us about your big break – that holy shit moment in your career.
Oh that’s a hard one, I think having a project published in a coffee table book early on after starting CJH Studio was a real moment, and more recently perhaps being engaged on fantastic project in New York was another.
3. Where do you get most inspired?
In my studio is where I am most inspired, it’s a beautiful space with great natural night, surrounded by my samples and reference books etc, music in the background and some scents going.
4. What is your favourite piece from Atley.co?
Well I have to say the egg cup holders firstly, as my children each use their own personalised cup every weekend :)
And secondly the tan leather tissue box (on the wish list ;-)
5. One thing that makes you truly happy?
6. How do you deal with work stress?
By putting away the computer and phone, plenty of water and as much sleep as you can manage, and start again fresh tomorrow!
7. What annoys you most? And why?
Those who aren’t kind and considerate of others. Its really not that hard, you just never know what someone else is going through, and you might even make their day with the smallest gesture. So please be kind!
8. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
Hmm not overly, Cassie is already one I guess, my full name being Cassandra. Sorry boring I know!
9. If you could only play one music album for the rest of your life what would it be?
Geez another toughie! But perhaps Boni Iver (self titled)
10. Do you live by any piece of advice or motto?
There's a few I like to remind myself of, one is ‘Comparison is the thief of joy” by Theodore Roosevelt. Basically reminding us all to just ‘do you’ In an age of social media overwhelming our worlds, its easy to fall into comparing ourselves to others. But run your own race, in your own way.
11. How should we handle someone copying our style?
Well they say it’s a form of flattery right, and we all take ‘inspiration’ from others all the time. Life's too short to worry about that anyway! Again, you do you and don’t anyone else disrupt you doing you either!
12. What’s your favourite Friday night tipple?
Gin/Dry Tonic/Soda with a dash of blood orange and rosemary
13. Name somewhere you would love to live.
Italy/France/Spain, sorry was that more than one 😉
14. Finish this sentence – homes have the power to:
Provide; connection, refuge, inspiration, memories, warmth, stillness, solace, beauty and so much more.
15. What’s your advice for aspiring designers and stylists that you inspire?
Be a sponge! Forever and always. You are never not learning! Take cues and inspiration from anywhere and everywhere. Find your passion in your field, work hard, gain and learn from your experiences, continue to push and challenge yourself and your skills, and also pass in on come time.
16. Why do you feel now (as a community), it is really important to get behind and support locally made?
If Covid has taught us anything, I feel its the connection and awareness to our local and small businesses. Without them we wouldn’t have access to so much that we are very fortunate to, including community. Shopping small, sustainable, and local helps not only them but the whole broader community and economy.