Interior Designer: Tali Roth
1. We would love to know a little bit about you.
Hi, I’m Tali Roth – Founder and Principal of Interior Designer firm Tali Roth Designs with an office here in Melbourne Australia and in New York City where I lived from 2013-2020. I have two little boys – Phoenix 6 and Romeo 2 so life is full.
2. Tell us about your big break – that holy shit moment in your career.
I am not sure I had a big break. In fact, I am almost certain I have not. It’s been slow and steady progress since I started in 2013. Each year there have been small achievements and milestones and obvious acknowledgments that other people think I am doing ok.
3. Where do you get most inspired?
Travel is a huge inspiration. Its such a luxury and obviously I haven’t been able to travel for a while now. I look to Italy for inspiration always.
4. What is your favourite piece from Atley.co?
That’s hard! Can I pick my top three? I absolutely love the Leather Tissue Box Covers and then the hot sculpted colour glass swizzle sticks for some cocktail fun and the minimal ceramic Incense Holder.
Image Credit zoe.interiors
Image Credit Bea Lambos
Image Credit Bea Lambos
5. One thing that makes you truly happy?
I love hotels. Give me a boutique hotel in Europe and I am in heaven.
6. How do you deal with work stress?
I must organise my thoughts and problems and then write everything down and label it 1-100 in terms of priorities and then I knock it off one by one. I must view each day as an opportunity to get things done rather than ‘finish’ my list… once I changed my perception on that it helped.
7. Name a book or movie everyone should read or watch? And why?
In the heights. It’s a love letter to New York! It’s incredible!
8. What annoys you most? And why?
Judgemental people (we are all guilty of it) but as soon as somebody judges you, you immediately feel on guard and its difficult to be relaxed and sincere around them.
11. If you could only play one music album for the rest of your life what would it be?
Ohhh… I guess Coldplay but I couldn’t choose between Parachutes X&Y or A Rush of blood to the head! You choose!
12. Do you live by any piece of advice or motto?
Be authentic. Check yourself everyday and if it doesn’t feel authentic to you then scrap it.
13. How should we handle someone copying our style?
I think it's case by case. You must look at their intention, their audience, if they are making money off what they have copied off you… If you believe the intentions were bad, they serve your audience and they are capitalising off your design then I think you need to confront them. I don’t really know much about this sphere, and I don’t make product and I can’t really copyright my design style 😊
14. What’s your favourite Friday night tipple?
I am a basic bitch – cold rose.
15. Name somewhere you would love to live.
Italy or Israel.
16. Finish this sentence – homes have the power to:
bring people together and create long lasting memories. It’s the space that most uniquely reflects you and your family’s sensibilities so fill it with things that make you happy.
17. Why do you feel now (as a community), it is really important to get behind and support locally made?
Its better for the environment to source local well-made products (lower carbon emissions, assumes more ethical processes in making the pieces etc). It's also important for authenticity of design to support smaller designers that perhaps are unique to your region but more than anything I want to support women owned business – now more than ever.