Interior Stylist: Ming Wang
1. We would love to know a little bit about you.
Hi, I'm Ming Wang an Interior Stylist. My personal style is eclectic, layered and derived from this amazing country. When I am designing for clients’ I am passionate about delivering to their needs and interiors that the end user will love. Whether this is for a residential or commercial project, my aim is always on the aesthetic, practical use and client expectations. My personal inspiration is driven by the Australian lifestyle especially the ocean. I truly value relationships in every aspect of my life and believe that success is based upon great relationships, both personal and professional.
2. Tell us about your big break – that holy shit moment in your career.
A few years ago I was fired from a job I loathed, within a week, some long time clients had called with some new displays to design and all of a sudden I was in business, this was never in any of my plans. I now work across projects in Sydney and Melbourne, even with COVID.
3. Where do you get most inspired?
Mother nature, my other creative peers, artists, designers.
4. What is your favourite piece from Atley.co?
Oh that’s tough….I do love the Leather tissue box covers and the oak and leather magazine racks.
Image Credit The Palm Co Designs
5. One thing that makes you truly happy?
My husband, dog, family & friends…… Artwork is up there too!
6. How do you deal with work stress?
I love pressure but tend not to get too stressed which is much easier being self-employed, I also am very conscious that I am creating aesthetic spaces and not in a race against time to save lives.
7. Name a book or movie everyone should read or watch? And why?
Too many to list!!
8. What annoys you most? And why?
People with poor manners who are confrontational. Life is too short for horrible people, there are too many great people to focus on and spend time with.
9. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
Mainly Mingos …but there are many others.
10. If you could only play one music album for the rest of your life what would it be?
Morcheeba – Big Calm.
11. Do you live by any piece of advice or motto?
12. How should we handle someone copying our style?
Stay one step ahead, they can copy your style but not your continued creative innovation.
13. What’s your favourite Friday night tipple?
G&T, why wait until a Friday?
14. Name somewhere you would love to live.
I love being back in Sydney, nothing beats the beaches.
15. Finish this sentence – homes have the power to:
Make people happy.
16. What’s your advice for aspiring designers and stylists that you inspire?
Listen to your clients.
17. Why do you feel now (as a community), it is really important to get behind and support locally made?
I always try to support locally made where possible, we have so much local talent to choose from.
Image Credit: Armelle Habib