1. We would love to know a little bit about you.
Hi, I’m Sally, I’m an interior designer by trade and I run a boutique interior atelier based in Melbourne. @sallycaroline_ is all about creating homes for friends and friends of friends
2. Tell us about your big break – that holy shit moment in your career.
Hmm.. that’s a hard one! I think I still have this feeling because the goals posts move, but seeing Palladiana Party in all it’s glory was an immensely satisfying moment because I was so emotionally invested in the project.
3. Where do you get most inspired?
Travel! (cheers covid)
4. What is your favourite piece from Atley.co?
I love the small ceramics – the organic forms of the incense holder and small dish.
5. One thing that makes you truly happy?
Ergh! Just one?!
Sleep! Sleep probably has to take the cake consider the year we just had with my youngest - Vivienne
6. How do you deal with work stress?
Take Bernie for a walk. Or just lay with him, he makes everything calm. (Our puppy)
7. Name a book or movie everyone should read or watch? And why?
“Crazy Stupid Love” ... Because… Gosling... And it’s actually quite funny.
8. What annoys you most? And why?
Rude people. Being kind isn’t so hard.
9. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
Salsa. Random. One of my besties still calls me that.
10. If you could only play one music album for the rest of your life what would it be?
Billie Eilish “When we all fall asleep where do we go”
I play this on the way back from daycare drop off… really loud.
11. Do you live by any piece of advice or motto?
I try to keep reminding myself to ‘Be Here Now’. It’s easy when you’re busy and have a family that you’re mind is all over the place. I try to give my full attention to the current activity I’m doing, with the people in front of me.
12. How should we handle someone copying our style?
Unfortunately, this is the world we live in. With Pinterest and Instagram almost, everyone is a ‘designer’ and those who copy don’t understand or appreciate the skill and energy it takes to be genuinely creative. All we can do is keep doing what we do best – be creative, be better, and don’t buy replicas.
13. What’s your favourite Friday night tipple?
Rose’. But its Friday most days in my house.
14. Name somewhere you would love to live.
Paris. Currently negotiations on this have stalled but in the next 10 years I’d like to live there for a moment in time. I’d love the experience, but I’d also love my girls to experience living abroad.
15. Finish this sentence – homes have the power to:
Transform that way you live and make every day happy.
16. What’s your advice for aspiring designers and stylists that you inspire?
Just keep chipping away. Overnight success generally takes 15 years…
17. Why do you feel now (as a community), it is really important to get behind and support locally made?
So many reasons!
Local manufacture needs to be supported. We have such wonderful talent here and it’s so important we keep these wonderful artists and craftsmen thriving.
Australian made products are made with quality and love, they keep jobs in our country and avoid costly import costs.