Creative Director: Sarah Jayne Marriott
1. We would love to know a little bit about you.
Hi, I’m Sarah Jayne Marriott, creative director at SJS. I’ve been obsessed about everything to do with interiors, art and design for as long as I can remember. My career spans over 16 years. I started as a junior at a great Sydney firm and worked my way up over 10 years. Fast forward to today and we are in our 6th It’s been a whirlwind of creating!
2. Tell us about your big break – that holy shit moment in your career.
I’m not sure we have had it yet? Every project that we finish for our clients is a team holy shit moment! launching our furniture line this year in collaboration with Artifex Interiors was amazing and was a pinch yourself moment! It’s been something I’ve always wanted to do but the timing had to be right.
3. Where do you get most inspired?
Original Art, Architecture, books, other designers here and globally. Our beautiful surrounding landscape, especially here in Byron where we are now permanently based.
4. What is your favourite piece from Atley.co?
I absolutely LOVE the Leather Desk Mat and Leather Tissue Box Covers.
Image Credit Rebecca Pountney Design
Image Credit The Palm Co
5. One thing that makes you truly happy?
Cuddles with my three year old son, Archer.
6. How do you deal with work stress?
Cocktail Friday 😊 and prioritising self-care in some form every day!
7. Name a book or movie everyone should read or watch? And why?
Untamed by Glennon Doyle is a must for the female tribe out there! I also love podcast, the happiness project is one I’m loving right now.
8. What annoys you most? And why?
Not having a sense of urgency. I have so much I want to do and achieve!
9. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
10. If you could only play one music album for the rest of your life what would it be?
11. Do you live by any piece of advice or motto?
Life is short. Do the next right thing.
12. How should we handle someone copying our style?
That’s a tough one. As designers and creators, I feel we are all inspired by what we are surrounded by and universal consciousness. If it’s a blatant copy than that’s not ok!
13. What’s your favourite Friday night tipple?
Margaritas have been my new discovery since lockdown!
14. Name somewhere you would love to live.
California, specifically Venice, LA.
15. Finish this sentence – homes have the power to:
Transform the way we live and can bring joy or create stress.
16. What’s your advice for aspiring designers and stylists that you inspire?
I strongly feel it’s important to work for someone you admire for at least 5 years, you will learn so much, including the tough mistakes and when you have the experience and confidence to do it yourself. The design business is hard and is not for everyone! Keep a close design tribe by your side, collaborate and support one another always.
17. Why do you feel now (as a community), it is really important to get behind and support locally made?
Supporting local business is more important than ever. It’s not only better quality, takes less time and is far more sustainable! It just feels good a supporting a fellow Australian business whether is product or a service. We have all experienced some tough times the last few years so we always support local wherever possible.